+30 2310870670or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Show on map
The ancient citadel of Asini is located on the top of the hill next to sea, about a km before Tolo. With a intense life from the early years of the Bronze Age, as it was shown by the findings of excavations, reached the top during Mycenaean Before Geometric and Geometric years. The ancient city was mentioned by Homer in the Iliad, and was the inspiration of Nobel laureate poet George Seferis for one of his most emotional poems. Today are distinguished traces of prehistoric settlement, parts of the imposing enclosure of Polygon structure of the acropolis, as well as Hellenistic towers that retain their medieval repairs. On hill opposite the Acropolis have been excavated Mycenaean, Hellenistic and Roman tombs.
The chapels of "Metamorphosis tou Sotira", 16th century, northwesterly of Asini, and the Prophet Elias, at the top of the hill nearby.
The noble stone house, the tower of Agas or Pyrgospito of Candia dominates and is one of the most impressive buildings that remain untouched by time in the region.
The hill "Eleousa" where the traces of earlier years are still there as there are ruins of the Candia Acropolis from the Mycenaean era.
The Signal Tower (Fryktoria) of the 7th century BC, that someone can see as approaching Iria on the left. The tower is maintained in good condition until today. It was used to communicate with other similar towers to alert, with smoke signals during the day and with fire signals during the night, the Ancient Asini and Mycenae in case of enemies raids.
It is worth to make tour with a boat in two small islands located within the bay of Tolo. In island Romvi there are pieces from the medieval castle walls, while in the island Daskalio years ago operated an orthodox seminary.
Tolo, due to its geographical position can be a base for your acquaintance with the most important archaeological sites and historical monuments of Argolis (Argos, Mycenae, Epidaurus, Ancient Asini, Náfplion).
Also, during the summer tours, with small boats, to the islands of the Saronic Gulf (Hydra, Spetses and Poros), are organised regularly.
The Lion of Bavaria
In Michael Iatrou Street between the church of Aghii Pandes and the modern graveyard, the visitor will find an exceptional sculptured monument, one of the most important of 19th century Greece; known as the Lion of Bavaria, which dates from 1840-1841.
The lion which is curved into the rock on a monument scale, seems to be sleeping. The sculptor of this beautiful monument was the German, Christian Siegel, who was the first professor sculpture at Athens Polytechnic. The model for the work was the Lion of Lucerne, by the famous Danish sculptor, Bertel Thorwaldsen. Below the lion there is an inscription in German that informs us that this monument was commissioned by Ludwing of Bavaria, father of Otto first king of Greece, in memory of the Bavarian soldiers in Otto's escort who died during the typhoid epidemic in Nafplio which devastated the area between 1833 and 1834. The Bavarians were buried in the graveyard of Aghii Pantes and in an area north east of Evaggelistria ehich became known as the "Bavarian monuments". Later their bones were exhumed and were taken to the crypt of Nafplio's Catholic Church.
Today, the area in front of the Lion of Bavaria has been turned into a small park with benches, to provide a place to rest during a tour of the city.
The Armansperg Residence
This is one of the most important mansions from the reign of Otto to be found in Nafplio. The building originally dates from the second Venetian occupation, but it was rebuilt in 1831 and the second floor was added.
The house was home to the president of the regency, Count Joseph Ludwing von Armansperg, during 1833 and 1834. Armansperg was a highly controversial personality and he has remained best known for the conspiratorial and autocratic nature of his policies.
According to witnesses of the time, the house was one of the largest in the city and the interior decoration left nothing to be desired in comparison to the greatest houses in Europe; it hosted receptions and balls with rare, for the time, musical accompaniment on the piano.
Archaelogical Museum of Nafplion
The Museum of Nafplion is housed within the imposing three storey edifice of square Syntagmatos. In its rich collection which includes exhibits from the Early to the Mycenaean era and historic times, but also findings from prehistoric settlements of the region.
It was built during the second Enetian domination (1686-1715) and specifically in 1713 during the rule of Agostino Sagredo. By Enetians it was used as barracks and warehouse navy.
Mpourtzi consists the symbol of the city of Nafplion.
The small fort on the island of St. Theodore. Mpourtzi, like many other buildings built in Nafplio by the Venetians in 1471 and according to others in 1473. It consists of a high octagonal tower, which is surrounded by low semicircular towers for the cannons to the east and west. A mobile chain closed up the entrance of the bay and Porto Cadena -the Port of Chain- turned into a safe anchorage.
Turks had thrown stones around the island, to prevent the approach of large vessels and built mole from Mpourtzi to a point called Pentadelfia with an opening in the middle. Later became a resident of the creation of death Palamidi. After the liberation from the Ottomans, Mpourtzi would be the host site of the Greek government.
The idea for Palamidi to be built had Morosini, Corner and Grimani. The plans were constructed eventually from Grimani, but the work was completed shortly afterwards by Agostino Sagredo. The entire complex consists of eight bastions which are connected with walls and communicate with each other. The fort communicated with the city by two roads, one was covered with a vaulted ceiling and later replaced by a tiered climb with 857 steps.
The fortifications of Palamidi finished within three years (1711-1714). It was the last major achievement in the long history of Enetian domination. A year later, in 1715 Turks with 100,000 troops entered Peloponnese and occupied Palamidi and Acronafplia.
Palamidi occasionally used as a prison of long-term convicted. There was imprisoned Theodoros Kolokotronis, too.
Kotsiomyti Museum - Physics History
At the Museum of each visitor has the opportunity to come and study tables illustrate and deliver comprehensible theory of evolution of life on Earth, from 570 million years ago until today.
The displays of fossils the museum except out the huge collection of ammonites Epidaurus (Triassic period, phases' Karnio 235,000,000, 239,000,000 and Ladinio Anisio, 241.000.000chronia before ") and ammonites from other parts of the world such as Morocco , Madagascar, France, etc.
Information at: www.museum-kotsiomitis.gr
L. ASKLIPIEIOY 27
LYGOURIO VILLAGE, ARGOLIS
Municipal Theatre Nafplion
Municipal Theatre is located in Nafplio in the address VAS.KONSTANTINOU 34, Nafplio and contact details are the following: TeL. +30 2752023830 or +30 2752028607.
The Subject Departments which have as an objective, and responsibility for the promotion and dissemination of theater and cultural enhancement of our region create performances with theater department, run seminars Plays with narration and animation.
The rocky peninsula of the Acronafplia comprised the walled settlement of Nafplio from ancient times until the end of the 15th century.
The Acronafplia walls bear witness to its rich history, which it must be confessed, is a little difficult to follow, due to its long uninterrupted inhabitation. The current form of the castle, although quite changed by modern intervention, basically crystallized during the Frankish and the first Venetian occupations from the 13th to 16th centuries.
Today, one can visit the Acronafplia climbing east from Staikopoulos Park through Arvanitias Square, or climb the steps from the Catholic church through the Castello di Toro. It should be noted that the three enclosures of the Acronauplia can be seen best from the Palamidi.
Ancient Citadel of Asini
The ancient citadel of Asini is located on the top of the hill next to sea, about a km before Tolo. With an intense life from the early years of the Bronze Age, as it was shown by the findings of excavations, reached the top during Mycenaean before Geometric and Geometric years. The ancient city was mentioned by Homer in the Iliad, and was the inspiration of Nobel laureate poet George Seferis for one of his most emotional poems. Today are distinguished traces of prehistoric settlement, parts of the imposing enclosure of Polygon structure of the acropolis, as well as Hellenistic towers that retain their medieval repairs. On hill opposite the Acropolis have been excavated Mycenaean, Hellenistic and Roman tombs.
Another building of historical importance and offer in cultural events of Nafplio is "Trianon". During Turkish domination Trianon was mosque, while in the second period of Enetian domination it hosted Franciscan monks, cappuccinos and functioned as a Catholic church dedicated to Saint Anthony. In 1826 hosted the students of A' mutual-learning School in Greece.
Today, it is used as cinema.